This recipe is by Martha Stewart.
- 25 chocolate wafer cookies (about half a 9-ounce package)
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, plus more for garnish
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 2 tablespoons, cold, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
LET'S MAKE THE PIE:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, grind wafers and pecans until fine crumbs form. Add melted butter; process until moistened. Transfer mixture to a 9-inch pie plate; press into bottom and up sides (use the base of a dry measuring cup to help). Bake until fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes; let cool.
- Place a large fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl; set aside. In a medium saucepan, off heat, whisk together 2/3 cup sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. A few tablespoons at a time, whisk in milk, being sure to incorporate the cornstarch. Whisk in egg yolks.
- Over medium heat, whisking constantly, cook mixture until the first large sputtering bubble forms. Reduce heat to low; continuing to whisk constantly, cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; immediately pour through sieve into bowl. Stir in teaspoon vanilla and 2 tablespoons cold butter.
- Pour pudding into crust. Place plastic wrap directly on surface (to prevent skin from forming); chill at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Just before serving, beat cream, remaining teaspoon sugar, and remaining teaspoon vanilla until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream over pudding, and sprinkle with pecans.