This recipe is by Martha Stewart.
For the Crust
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) chilled salted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for pan
- 1/3 cup pecan halves
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Filling
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Chocolate curls, for serving
LET'S MAKE THE PIE:
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9-inch pie plate; set aside. Grind pecans in a food processor, or chop very finely with a knife. In a medium bowl, combine flour, pecans, sugar, and salt. Cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press firmly into prepared pie plate. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Make the filling: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. With machine running, gradually add melted chocolate and the vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating at medium speed for five minutes after each addition. Pour filling into cooled pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap, and transfer to the refrigerator to cool for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Just before serving, top pie with whipped cream, and decorate with chocolate curls.