This recipe is by Martha Stewart.
- 3 1/2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into large pieces, cold
- 14 ounces best-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 10 1/2 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brewed coffee, room temperature
- Chocolate Leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Chocolate shovel, for garnish (optional)
LET'S MAKE THE TART:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add almonds, 7 tablespoons sugar, flour, salt, and orange zest. Pulse until well combined. Add butter and pulse until dough comes together and there are no lumps.
- Press dough into an 11-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom to create a crust about 1/4-inch thick. Transfer pie crust to oven and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Place 10 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate and 3 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate in a large bowl; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring 1 1/4 cups heavy cream to a boil over medium heat. Strain hot cream through a fine mesh sieve over chocolate. Stir ganache until melted and smooth. Add vanilla and stir until well combined.
- Strain chocolate mixture through a fine mesh sieve into the center of the cooled pie shell. Evenly spread chocolate with a spatula. Transfer to a refrigerator until chocolate has set.
- In a heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water, melt remaining 3 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate and 7 ounces semisweet chocolate. In a small saucepan set over low heat, beat egg yolk mixture and 1 1/2 teaspoons of water together until thickened. Transfer melted chocolate to a large bowl, fold in egg yolks and coffee until well combined; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture.
- In the clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add remaining tablespoon sugar and beat until stiff. Gently fold into chocolate mixture.
- Spoon mixture on top of chilled ganache and spread evenly with a spatula. Transfer to refrigerator and chill overnight. Remove from tart pan and transfer to serving platter. Garnish platter with leaves and shovel, if desired. Serve pie at room temperature.